The Shema: Hear, listen to and obey, O Yisra'el to keep, guard and
observe to do after this fashion that it will be well and pleasing to you...
Dabariym [deuteronomy] 6:3–9:
3. ושמעת ישראל ושמרת לעשות אשר ייטב לך ואשר תרבון מאד כאשר דבר יהוה אלהי אבתיך לך ארץ זבת חלב ודבש
3. And you must listen intelligently with attention and interest, comprehend and obey, O Yisra'el, to hedge about, as with thorns, and guard and protect to do after this fashion that it will be well and pleasing to you that you may become great and numerous in might, force and abundance as יהוה 'Elohiym [Mighty One] of your fathers, has declared and promised to you, in the country and territory that flows with the milk of abundance and honey.
4. שמע ישראל יהוה אלהינו יהוה אחד
4. Hear intelligently with attention and interest, comprehend and obey, O Yisra'el, יהוה our 'Elohiym [Mighty One] is יהוה alone!
5. ואהבת את יהוה אלהיך בכל־לבבך ובכל־נפשך ובכל־מאדך
5. And you will have affection for יהוה the self-entity, your 'Elohiym [Mighty One], with the whole of your inner nephesh, mind and heart, and with your nephesh— yourself, life, appetite, living-being, desire, emotion, passion and with the whole of your might, force and abundance!
6.והיו הדברים האלה אשר אנכי מצוך היום על־לבבך
6. And these words which I am appointing to you today will exist in your inner part, intelligence, resolve and heart;
7.ושננתם לבניך ודברת בם בשבתך בביתך ובלכתך בדרך ובשכבך ובקומך
7. Whet, sharpen, inculcate— say over and over to your sons and carefully arrange the words and speak of them with one another when you return to your dwelling place where one sits and when you walk in your way and the course of life and conduct of desired behavior and when you lie down for copulation, rest or sleep and when you come up to maintain oneself or become powerful.
8.וקשרתם לאות על־ידך והיו לטטפת בין עיניך
8. You will bind them as a sign or distinguishing mark and remembrance of agreement in your hands and as a mark of distinction between your eyes, as if watching over something important.
9.וכתבתם על־מזזות ביתך ובשעריך
9. You will write, inscribe, or engrave them, so to experience the staff of knowledge and comprehension on the door posts of your dwelling place and your gates of entrance into the cities, markets and meeting places.
Dabariym [deuteronomy] 11:13–21:
13.והיה אם־שמע תשמעו אל־מצותי אשר אנכי מצוה אתכם היום לאהבה את־ יהוה אלהיכם ולעבדו בכל־לבבכם ובכל־נפשכם
13. And it will exist if you carefully listen intelligently, with attention and interest, as well as respond appropriately in obedience and action, looking toward My mitsuwth [pl. commands; requirements] which I appoint to you this day to have affection for יהוה self-entity, your 'Elohiym [Mighty One], and to serve with the whole of your inner part, intelligence, resolve and heart, and with the whole of your nephesh
14.ונתתי מטר־ארצכם בעתו יורה ומלקוש ואספת דגנך ותירשך ויצהרך
14. that I will cause and deliver the rain of your territory in its time and season the early sprinkling and the latter spring rain for gathering your increase and freshly pressed wine and oil.
15.ונתתי עשב בשדך לבהמתך ואכלת ושבעת
15. And I will cause and deliver the grasses and herbs of your fields for your cattle that you might eat and become whole, satisfied and satiated.
16.השמרו לכם פן יפתה לבבכם וסרתם ועבדתם אלהים אחרים והשתחויתם להם
16. Hedge about, as with thorns, guard, protect and attend to yourselves that your thoughts and emotion are not enticed, deceived, persuaded, flattered or lured and you turn aside and become bound by following after other g*ds ['elohiym] to pay homage to them.
17.וחרה אף־יהוה בכם ועצר את־השמים ולא־יהיה מטר והאדמה לא תתן את־ יבולה ואבדתם מהרה מעל הארץ הטבה אשר יהוה נתן לכם
17. And the anger of יהוה rages over you and He withholds and restrains the heavens and there is no more rain and the ground does not yield or deliver its growth of fruits and crops and you quickly wander alone and lost from the excellent land which יהוה gives you.
18.ושמתם את־דברי אלה על־לבבכם ועל־נפשכם וקשרתם אתם לאות על־ידכם והיו לטוטפת בין עיניכם
18. You will consign these My words within your heart, the thought and character, and within your nephesh and love them as a distinguishing mark, as the hand of power to exist as if they were worn between your eyes.
19.ולמדתם אתם את־בניכם לדבר בם בשבתך בביתך ובלכתך בדרך ובשכבך ובקומך
19. And you will direct and goad the sons and will carefully arrange the words or commands and speak of them with one another when you return to your dwelling place where one sits and when you walk in your way and course of life and in your actions and when you lie down for copulation, rest or sleep and when you come up.
20.וכתבתם על־מזוזות ביתך ובשעריך
20. You will write, carve, or engrave them on the door posts of your dwelling place and your entrance gates;
21.למען ירבו ימיכם וימי בניכם על האדמה אשר נשבע יהוה לאבתיכם לתת להם כימי השמים על־הארץ
21. to the intent and purpose of your days becoming greatly increased and the days of your sons as well, in the land which יהוה nishba' [did seven; having sworn seven times] to your fathers the given to them, like the days of the heavens and the earth!